Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday


This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Every week there is a different top ten topic.  You can find the list of topics here, both past and upcoming.  This week is:

Top Ten Historical Fiction

1. Lyddie by Katherine Paterson.  I read this years ago, in either grade school or middle school, for a book report.  I haven't read it in over a decade, but I distinctly remember really liking it, to the point that I reread it quite often.  Its a great book for young people.

2. The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory.  This was the first book of Gregory's that I read, so it would make sense that it was my favorite of hers.  I also love that she takes a person that most other authors make into a horrible wench and shows her as a victim of time and circumstance.

3. Magnus by Sigmund Brouwer.  My brother had the first book in a youth series almost two decades ago, and I was browsing the shelves at our local library when I stumbled across the series compiled into a novel.  And its wonderful.

4. Jamestown by Angela Elwell Hunt.  Honestly, pretty much everything by her is something I love.  Too bad most are out of print now, if not all.

5. As Sure as the Dawn by Francine Rivers.  Again, pretty much any book by this author is something I love.  I would put Redeeming Love here, but I already have that on one list, so I though I would change it up a bit.

6. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.  The whole series is actually rather magnificent, but I'm kind of wondering if it should be under supernatural and not historical?  Oh, well.  My list.

7. The Knight and the Dove by Lori Wick.  When I was reading strictly Christian fiction, Lori Wick was one of my favorite authors.  That being said, I honestly probably only read half of her books, but this series was my favorite {probably because this one was medieval}.

8, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I actually quite enjoyed this book.  There were some overly graphic parts I would have probably taken out, but otherwise it was really good.

9. Rivers of Gold by Tracie Peterson.  This is the last in a trilogy, but my favorite.  I love the character Grace!

10. Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw.  Again, one I read ages ago.  Great book, though.  And, I just found out today that it was actually written in the 1950s.  Go pick it up, its pretty good.


Well, that's my list.  The funny thing is I wanted to add all these books from eons ago, but they were all actually written during the timing that they take place, so they're not actually historical fiction.  They just seem that way to me since it was anywhere from decades ago to maybe a couple hundred years ago or more.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for the kind mention, Kari! And I hope you'll be glad to know that those historical novels, The Keepers of the Ring Series, are available on Amazon as Kindle reads. :-)

Blessings to you!

Angie Hunt

Kari said...

Your comment has made my week! I have the Keepers of the Ring Series, but I didn't realize they were available on Kindle! I'll have to pass that on to my friends and readers! Your historical fictions are some of my favorite books =)