Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that Were Totally Deceiving

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Every week there is a different top ten topic.  You can find the list of topics here, both past and upcoming.  This week is:

Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving
My choices are ones that were either a pleasant surprise or a disappointment.  And its a top eight instead of ten {I guess that's good, right?}

1. Wither - I wanted to love this book.  The cover was gorgeous, the synopsis was pretty good... but I just couldn't.  So glad I was able to borrow it instead of buying it.  However, I'm really hoping to read Fever, so if you have please direct me to your review!

2. Halo - The cover was such a lovely contrast of light and dark, and I thought the book would be more like that.  It was just too much like a children's book, and not really young adult.  It was obvious it was written by someone not experience in life or love, really.

3. Dearly, Departed - Beauty, Victorian and parasols.  The cover is awesome, and the book is awesome in its own way, but not exactly what the cover would have you think.  Definitely not as much romance, but the play of light and shadows reflects the book somewhat.

4. A Great and Terrible Beauty - I picked this up when I was at university, solely based off the cover and description on the inside sleeve.  I was expecting something a little more romantic, and not as much other-worldly.  But this was a pleasant deception, as the book is a great read.  Not really what I was expecting, but a great surprise.


5. I Am The Messenger - I found out about this book through a friend, and hadn't seen the cover until after hearing his review {he doesn't blog, so it was a verbal review/recommendation}.  It doesn't really match up too much with the story, but its so ambiguous it kind of works.

6. Program 13 - Okay, this looked awesome.  I got a copy for my Kindle for a couple dollars off amazon after seeing something on Goodreads about it.  I could not get into this book.  The idea was great, the execution of the story?  Not so much.  Yes, its about a cyborg who is programmed to be human-ish... and the person she is physically modeled after {as well as having been up loaded with her memories and life} begins to take over, putting the program in the background.

7. The Traitor's Daughter - I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.  Between the cover and the synopsis, it looked amazing.  I honestly could hardly get into it.  I never finished it.  At some point, I will go back and try to read it again, but I just couldn't get into it. At. All.

8.The Mephisto Covenant - Skiing up in the mountains.  People selling their souls and having blank eyes... but the cover has this girl with beautiful long blonde hair in a huge, dark dress.  The thing that isn't quite right would be the huge dark dress.  Don't get me wrong - it was a really good book!  Just not quite what I was expecting.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I agree on Wither! It was okay - it just wasn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. And I expected A Great & Terrible Beauty to be as gorgeous inside as the cover was, but it was another so/so read. I didn't even finish the series haha! That's always a bad sign. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm always happy to find another Anne of Green Gables lover :)