Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel by Richelle Mead

Title: Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel
Author: Richelle Mead
Illustrator: Emma Vieceli
Adapter: Leigh Dragoon
Pages: 144
Publisher: Razorbill
My rating: 4.5 stars
Goodreads rating: 4.09 stars
Published: August 23, 2011

Description:
After two years on the run, best friends Rose and Lissa are caught and returned to St. Vladimir’s Academy, a private high school for vampires and half-bloods. It’s filled with intrigue, danger—and even romance.

Enter their dark, fascinating world through a new series of 144-page full-color graphic novels. The entire first Vampire Academy novel has been adapted for book one by Leigh Dragoon and overseen by Richelle Mead, while the beautiful art of acclaimed British illustrator Emma Vieceli brings the story to life.


This was a pretty well put together graphic novel adaptation.  I've read a few graphic novels in my time, and some have been the adaptations of books {both Twilight graphic novels of book one, as well as most of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, thanks to the awesome deals when Borders was closing their doors}.  Its been a while since I read Vampire Academy {and I have to admit, I haven't finished the series... it was too much when *SPOILER* Dimitri was turned Strigoi, after him and Rose finally admited their love for each other... yeah, that means I still have half of the books left to read...}, but this honestly did a great job at refreshing my memory.


The illustrations were wonderful - most of the characters were very well described by Richelle Mead in her Vampire Academy books, and this graphic novel brought them to live gorgeously.  And Dimitri?  Yeah, that's pretty much what I pictured.  Lissa is not quite what I pictured, but I"m sure that's how many a person has pictured the last of the Dragomir royalty to look.


This graphic novel literally took me all of maybe an hour to read, and that was mostly because I was talking to my hubs during that hour as well.  Its a great visual companion to the Vampire Academy novel, or {in my case} a great refresher as to why I liked these books and need to finish the series.

No comments: