Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Pages: 324
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
My rating: 5 stars
Goodreads rating: 4.23 stars
Published: May 22, 2012
{won an ARC through a contest via the lovelies at The Midnight Garden}

Description:

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.


The description is basically the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to this book.  Which was good, because I honestly had no idea what to expect.  I figured it was going to be a little more light than my last read, and it was which was very welcomed!  I love the characters, and the plot was pretty good too.


Emma is described as a lot of leading females from books are {blonde, pale, skinny, clumsy, but with amazingly striking eyes}, which is kind of getting to me, but not enough to change my opinion of this book.  I do like the spunk Emma has, and the fact that she doesn't need Galen to function as a person.  Yes, she builds an attraction to him {by his description, you could be blind and deaf and still fall head over heels for him}, but she's a little more cautious about him and doesn't just jump in thinking of course the hottest guy I've ever seen would like me.  That seems to be the curse of the modern YA novel female.  And the fact that she's always getting nervous and blushing around him?  Too cute {yes, I said cute}.


I won't lie, I read a review before I read the book that said Galen was stuck up and had the "I'm a Royal and you're nothing" attitude towards everyone, so I was a little leery.  Boy, I honestly couldn't think that view of him could be more wrong!  Yes, he is a Royal and does play it by the rules, because he knows the consequences if he doesn't.  But he isn't rude to others, doesn't talk down to them {too much} and is, overall, a nice guy.  In fact, Emma gets on his case more once she finds out he's a Royal {calling him "Majesty" and "Highness" when she's annoyed with him}.


I know this book is out now {when I started writing this review it wasn't}, and you need to go pick it up!  This is the perfect summer read, especially beach read {um, minus a horrible shark attack}.  I think I might be in love with books set on the coast {any coast with sand and semi-swimmable water}.  Anna Banks makes a great world in this book.  Two if you count the world under the waves.  Her characters are likeable {loveable, really}, and this book is not entirely predictable.  At all.  I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one.  If you've read the Wings series, more specifically Illusions, you know what I mean when I say this book leaves you hanging with pivotal information.

3 comments:

Mary @MySistersBookshelf said...

I'm adding this to my TBR pile! Ever since Forgive My Fins (do you know that one?) I've been intrigued by all things water/mermaid/what-have-you. The next big thing? Could be!

Mary

Kari said...

I haven't read Forgive My Fins. I will add that to my TBR list!

Italia said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the fantasy and mythology Ms Banks offered us, I am not a big fan of `mermaid' books but I was instantly intrigued by Of Poseidon. The world building was fascinating; I was mesmerized by the detail provided of the underwater world and its dwellers.

I found the switch between Emma's first person POV and Galen's third person POV to be quite confusing at times; I tend to prefer one or the other, other than this I really enjoyed Ms Banks detailed writing.