Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Quotes

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Every week there is a different top ten topic.  You can find the list of topics here, both past and upcoming.  This week is:

Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books

I'm kind of a quote junkie, and I got the great idea through Twitter and a couple of book bloggers {who will be mentioned as soon as I can figure out who it was thanks to Hannah at So Obsessed With and Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish} to keep a notebook with me to keep track of my favorite quotes from books I'm currently reading.  How awesome is that idea?  Pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself.  And something I wish I would have come up with on my own... {Okay, I just found my only quote journal from years ago... it has everything from random facts to bits from books.  I forgot I even had that!}

Okay, one thing I have done to highlight favorite books in my home library is canvas book art.  I take the cover of a book {yes, ripped off the book itself} and my favorite quote from the book or one that I think encompasses the story of the books/series really well {also ripped out of the books}...
{The first 6 quotes are the ones on each canvas art}

1. For a minute, Kirsten stood still.  Then she turned and looked back at the Eagle.  When they boarded the small ship, no one had known what to expect.  There had been dangerous storms at sea.  They had been sick.  But at last they had arrived in America.  - Meet Kirsten by Janet Shaw.  The American Girl book were some of my favorites as a young girl, and this sums up the beginning of Kristen's story so well.  My other favorite quote in this book is after Kirsten's best friend dies: "Let her have her tears."

2. If you love, you will suffer, and if you do not love, you do not know the meaning of a Christian life. - Agatha Christie, as quoted in Jamestown by Angela Elwell Hunt.  There is a lot of suffering in this book, and it makes the perfect quote to represent that book.

3.  And so Marcus did as he was asked.  He gave in to his deep need to speak of Hadassah.  And all the while he talked of her, he failed to see the irony in what he was doing.  For as he told the story of a simple Judean slave girl, Marcus Lucianus Valerian, a Roman who didn't believe in anything, proclaimed the gospel of Jesus Christ.  - An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers.

4.  The pounding music, the cheers, the admiration work their way into my blood, and I can't suppress my excitement.  Cinna has given me a great advantage.  No one will forget me.  Not my look, not my name.  Katniss.  The girl who was on fire.  - The Hunger Games by  Suzanne Collins

5.  The High King above all kings stooped toward him.  Its mane, and some strange and solemn perfume that hung about the man, was all round him.  It touched his forehead with its tongue.  He lifted his face and their eyes met.  Then instantly the pale brightness of the mist and the fiery brightness of the lion rolled themselves together into a swirling glory and gathered themselves up and disappeared.  He was alone with the horse on a grassy hillside under a blue sky.  And there were birds singing.  - The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis.  This is my favorite book in the Chronicles of Narnia, with The Magician's Nephew being a close second.  There are many funny quotes from this book, but this one is my top favorite quote from it.

6. Some say the world will end in fire,
some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-Robert Frost, as quoted in Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer.  Eclipse is my favorite of the four books, hands down.  Breaking Dawn is cool, because everything has closure in it, plus Bella becomes of vampire, but this book is just better.

7. The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.  - Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.  As a book nerd, I love this quote.

8. When you start imagining you're being molested in your own bed by the Tooth Fairy of Death, you've been hitting the sauce too much. Or reading too much fiction. - What-The-Dickens by Gregory Maguire.

9. He pulled her close. “Someday, I will win your trust, and you will be the one to set me free. I know it.” “I won’t.” Bertie recoiled from both him and the assertion she would do such a thing. “Not ever.” - Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev.  This quote says so much about the books... ah!  Read them!


Okay, that's it for quotes for me... I really need to rest some more... hoping to be feeling better come this weekend!


2 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm late to comment because I'm just now going through my reader, but I've got lots to say :)

1. YAY FOR A QUOTE NOTEBOOK! I'm seriously so excited for you to start one. I don't know if you're a re-reader, but I am & I love referencing my quote notebook after reading a book a second time to see if I've noted the same quotes or new ones. It's fun to compare what I liked the last time I read it to what I liked on the next read.
2. That's some pretty awesome book art! I love that idea! How many do you have total in your home library?!
3. Many hearts for the American Girl books! I ate those up. I had the Felicity doll, but I think I had the books for every single girl. I think I put them in a donate box years ago, and I'm still mad about that. I'm going to have to buy them all over again if I ever have a girl :)
4. I really, really LOVE that series by Francine Rivers. Have you read all three of them? SO GOOD! And I absolutely love the quote you chose. It perfectly captures those books.
5. I still haven't read all of the Narnia books (I know, fail!), but I just bought the Barnes & Noble hardcover with all of them. I can't wait to read them!
6. Jane Austen. Word.

Ok, that's all I've got :) Great post, Kari!

Kari said...

Hannah~
1. Yes, I totally reread! My hubs gives me a hard time about buying so many books, but if I love it, I know I'll want to read it again. I've donated SO many books that I really wish I'd kept, and even sold some to used book stores, and totally regret it.

2. That's all I've got for the book art so far. A few were pretty hard to find, since the books are out of print, and I'm a little picky about which books I want hanging on the wall in my library. I still need to find a specific cover for Northanger Abbey {which, surprise!, is also out of print}.

3. I'm SO glad I kept the American Girl books I had growing up - They've discontinued Kirsten and Samantha! I have a feeling Molly is next...

4. I read the Mark of the Lion series YEARS ago, all borrowed from my library... but I read book 3, then 1, then 2, because that was the order I was able to get them in and was so anxious to read them!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting... and you need to hop on the Narnia bandwagon. They are so amazingly good!!