Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken {mini review}

Title: Brightly Woven
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Pages: 354
Publisher: EgmontUSA
My rating: 5 stars
Goodreads rating: 3.92 stars
Published: June 1, 2010

Description:

When Wayland North brings rain to a region that's been dry for over ten years, he's promised anything he'd like as a reward. He chooses the village elder's daughter, sixteen-year-old Sydelle Mirabel, who is a skilled weaver and has an unusual knack for repairing his magical cloaks. Though Sydelle has dreamt of escaping her home, she's hurt that her parents relinquish her so freely and finds herself awed and afraid of the slightly ragtag wizard who is unlike any of the men of magic in the tales she's heard. Still, she is drawn to this mysterious man who is fiercely protective of her and so reluctant to share his own past.

The pair rushes toward the capital, intent to stop an imminent war, pursued by Reuel Dorwan (a dark wizard who has taken a keen interest in Sydelle) and plagued by unusually wild weather. But the sudden earthquakes and freak snowstorms may not be a coincidence. As Sydelle discovers North's dark secret and the reason for his interest in her and learns to master her own mysterious power, it becomes increasingly clear that the fate of the kingdom rests in her fingertips. She will either be a savior, weaving together the frayed bonds between Saldorra and Auster, or the disastrous force that destroys both kingdoms forever.


I finished reading this a little while ago, and have since read several other books, so this is going to be a mini review.  This book was so good!  Honestly, the only thing that disappointed me was the fact that there is no second book!  So, I guess that's my way of saying I really, really liked this book.  Alexandra Bracken builds a marvelous world, but nothing so extravagant that its difficult to imagine.  The characters were so likeable, and the Alexandra Bracken has written them in such a way that made me just eat up the book to know more about them.  To understand why North needed Sydelle on his journey.  To see what would become of Sydelle, traveling with the strange wizard to lands she only dreamed of.  This book kept me gripped to the very end, and I enjoyed every aspect of it.




Notable Quotables:
"Your friendship was built on ale," I reminded him, pulling my bag over my shoulder.
"And what a find friendship it is!"
- Sydelle to Owain and Owain's response


"Is there really nothing I can do for him?" I asked.  "Nothing?"
Aphra turned in the doorway.  "Love him," she said.  "For someone who has grown up hating himself and fearing that there's nothing for him in this world but pain, there is no greater gift.  Do you understand?"
I nodded, but I didn't say another word.
- Sydelle to Aphra about North

No comments: