Monday, January 27, 2014

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi | Review

Title: Under The Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Pages: 374
Publisher: HarperCollins
My rating: 5 stars
Goodreads rating: 4.08 stars
Published: January 3, 2012
Source: Audiobook/Borrowed


Description:

WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.



Its taken me a little while to come around to reading this one, and I have to say a big reason behind that was the cover.  Yes, I judged a book by its cover.  I know, that's awful and one of the worst things a reader could do {aside from dog-earring the pages}.  I honestly probably would have never picked it up if not for a fellow reader {non-book-blogger} recommending it to me.  I swear, she's my book kindred spirit, everything she's suggested I've loved, and I've gotten quite a few responses of the like from her.  But I digress.

Honestly, it was a little hard for me to get into this book at first.  The idea of living in Pods and Realms and the like was a little off-putting, but thankfully that was not what the book was solely about.  That, in fact, is mostly just referenced by Aria and only occasionally.  The main plot is about Aria outside of Reverie looking for answers {and a way to her mother}, with Perry as her guide.

The relationship between Perry and Aria is interesting and mutli-layered.  And, thankfully, we don't have that typical YA instant attraction from the get-go.  Perry is a "savage", someone who was born outside of the Pods and actually finds Aria repulsive in the beginning.  But they both need each other to get back something they've lost: Aria needs to find her mother and Perry needs to get hi nephew Talon back.

The story itself wasn't really anything I was expecting.  Like I said, I totally judged this book by the cover.  If you, too, are judging it by the cover, I would say take the dust jacket off and give it a go.  I am so glad I did {and I even listened to the audiobook with its very raspy narrator, which was distracting at first}.  I was so pleasantly surprised and enthralled by this book, I was dying to go out and buy the next one!





*Sorry for the lameness of this review! I finished the book over a month ago and am currently getting over the flu, so my thoughts are slightly jumbled!

No comments: