Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer | Review

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 387
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Goodreads rating: 4.09 stars
Published: January 3rd, 2012
Source: Audiobook/Library

Description:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Okay, androids and cyborgs? Generally not my thing.  I decided to pick up the audiobook from my library because 1) I've been loving audiobooks lately {even though it will never beat sitting with a physical copy in my hands and enjoying a good book}, and 2) it was right before Cress was going to be released, so I was seeing things about the Lunar Chronicles everywhere.  Top that off with getting the flu and having to be quarantined away from the boy shortly after picking this up, and I had quite the audiobook marathon one weekend.  Even in my flu-muddled mind, I recognized the awesome that was Cinder.

The characters were fabulous.  Seriously, just amazing!  I loved the depth and complexity that was Cinder, and her relationships with everyone she knows {especially her little android Iko!}.  I thought it would be weird reading about a character who was a cyborg, but it actually wasn't!  I've read a couple books with either cyborgs/robots/zombies, and they all seem to creep me out a little, but Cinder didn't.

The story moves fast, and I think the only thing that would have made me enjoy this book more would have been actually reading it instead of listening to it.  The woman reading the story does pretty good with all the voices, but some are a little too monotone for me {I know, they're kind of supposed to be, but its just weird hearing it}.

There was the obvious "duh!" when a couple different things were revealed {one of which I figured out close to the beginning of the book}, and I think a few people reading this might be a little disappointed that they caught on so quick.  It wasn't disappointing to me, but there definitely wasn't the "whoa, I totally didn't see that coming!" thrill that comes with some books.

I would definitely suggest this to fans of Sci Fi/Fantasy books.  Even though it's YA, I really think this one is for YA and up.  I would definitely suggest this {and the other Lunar Chronicles} to anyone!

No comments: