Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Amazon Burning by Victoria Griffith | Review

Title: Amazon Burning
Author: Victoria Griffith
Pages:
Publisher: Astor + Blue Editions
Goodreads rating: 4.47 Stars
Published: October 1st, 2014
Source: Paperback/From Publisher
Purchase: Amazon

Description:

When 22-year-old aspiring journalist, Emma Cohen, is forced to flee the comforts of her NYU student life, she maneuvers an internship from her father at his newspaper in Rio de Janeiro. There, Emma is immediately swept into a major news story--and a life-threatening situation--when a famous jungle environmentalist, Milton Silva, is mysteriously murdered.Emma must now enter the Amazon rainforest with her father to investigate; both awed by the enormity and beauty of the Amazon, and appalled by its reckless destruction. Not only will Emma have to brave the primal world of the Amazon, she must fight to survive the kidnappers, villains, corrupt activists, and indigenous tribes that lay in wait along the ever-twisting trail of the murder case. Stretched to the brink, it s up to Emma, her father and the dreamy news photographer, Jimmy, to unravel the mystery and live to tell the tale. Amazon Burning by Victoria Griffith is a spectacular debut Young Adult novel.



First, I know the description says "Young Adult", but this is definitely New Adult.  Unless the young adults you know read very graphic books, both with violence and sex {not a ton of the later, but a good deal of the former}.

Amazon Burning was interesting, even though it's not the type of contemporary book I normally read.  I don't mean to say that I didn't like it, because I did enjoy it.  Just not as much as some other {not quite so violent} contemporary New Adult books.  You can tell Victoria Griffith has researched her topic, which makes the book more believable and enjoyable.  I also enjoyed the main character, Emma Cohen, and her quick, believable personality.  Without such a good core character for the book, I think I would have ended up putting it down less than halfway through.

While I did finish the book, it isn't something I would reread, but that's mainly because its not necessarily something I would have read to begin with.  For those who enjoy this topic, I would definitely recommend this book {male or female}.  If the description sounds interesting to you, I would suggest borrowing it from your library or picking up the Kindle edition to see if you like it.  It was written well and is an interesting topic, and it didn't take too long to read.

No comments: