Monday, September 4, 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas | Review

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 421
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Goodread Rating: 4.29 stars
Published: May 5, 2015
Source: Hardcover/bought

Description:

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.



My Thoughts:

I was  a little reluctant picking up this book.  Everyone was raving about how amazing it was {for quite a while now}.  And while I'd read Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass when it was published about 5 years ago {and really loved it}, I was hesitant to pick this one up.  I remember loving Maas' ToG, but for some reason I never actually picked up any of the others in that series, and that's kind of stuck with me as far as reading A Court of Thorns and Roses.  That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I got sucked into this book!


Maas gives us a pretty vivid description of Feyre's life, and it's rough.  Her sisters act entitled, even though they are lucky to survive through each winter with whatever Feyre can find to provide for them.  Her father, at best, is absent.  After being forced to flee, they've settled outside a small town, where Feyre can hunt to provide for them and try to keep them safe from they faeries over the wall.

Hunting one day leads Feyre to be taken by over the wall to the world of faerie as retribution for killing a wolf in order to spare the lives of her family.  But, instead of being treated as a prisoner, Feyre is taken in as more like a guest.  She has a fae lady's maid, charming chambers and free roam of most the mansion and grounds, and tends to dine with two very interesting fae gentlemen, Tamlin and Lucien.  Even though that means setting aside her hunting garb for dresses at times, Feyre still has her simmering wit and hunter's mind.

While Lucien seems to be more someone Feyre can converse with {only because he's as guarded as she is}, Tamlin sneaks into her thoughts more and more often, and after time Feyre discovers her curiosity of him has turned into interest in him {of course, like any good hate-to-love story it had to start out with the hate first!}.

While this book is advertised as young adult, it read more like New Adult with some of the steaminess and the gore.  And the steaminess {oh, did I already mention that?}.  I got back and forth between my like of books dealing with Fae, but this is definitely a book I like!  Since I purchased this knowing full well there are two more books out in the series {and I believe plans for at least a few more!}, I was expecting a massive cliffhanger.  Color me pink with pleasant surprise, because there wasn't!  While I'm excited to see where this story goes, I'm happy I didn't feel like I was hanging on a ledge, desperate for the next book.

No comments: