Monday, October 23, 2017

Checkmate Boxed Set (Travis & Viola) by Kennedy Fox |

Title: Checkmate Boxed Set (Travis & Viola)
Author: Kennedy Fox
Pages: 552
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Goodread rating: 4.71 stars
Published: April 3rd, 2017
Source: eBook/bought


Description:

Travis King is the worst kind of a$$hole with good looks and enough confidence to last two lifetimes. 


Viola Fisher is a goodie two shoes know-it-all who prefers fictional love stories over her own. 
The only thing they have in common is their mutual hatred for each other. 

She’s had a secret crush on him since she was ten, but Travis has always made it very clear the feelings aren’t mutual. He’s cruel, crass and takes every opportunity to get under Viola’s skin. She’s smart, beautiful, and too good to be true. Hating him is her religion, but needing her is his. 

Although Viola loathes his very existence, against her better judgment she let him into her bed. Her sexy curves and filthy smart mouth make Travis want her even more and although she’s succumbed to his manwh*re ways, she’s determined to not let that change a thing. 

Too bad he has other plans. 

Viola’s always been off-limits, but Travis is determined to keep crossing that line. She can try to push him away, but he always gets what he wants and he’ll do anything to prove he’s done playing games. 

Until then, they’ll play by their own rules to see who will win the biggest battle yet—love or hate? 

Checkmate. 



My Thoughts:

Okay, at this point I've read all but the last book Checkmate series, and I have to admit this was my least favorite.  While they were still fun books, I wasn't too knocked out by the story.  Maybe because I really couldn't connect with Viola and her attraction to Travis {who was a total d-bag for a good portion of the first book}.  Also, I'm review this as the set, but I read them both separately.  I just find this a bit easier, especially since I'm a little behind in my reviews!

I really liked Viola, especially since she's a bookworm and a Potterhead! I think a lot of women can relate to the frustration and downright hatred she feels towards Travis King, after he was her closest friend, then burned her {and that friendship} as a young teen.  Viola is good and sweet, but Travis brings out the spitfire in her.  It doesn't help that, through everything that happened with Viola and Travis, he has remained her brother Drew's best friend.

Travis comes across as the worst sort of man for any woman.  He behaves towards women very much like a boy in that he uses them for one night {and it seems to be one amazing night, according to many of the women and Travis himself}.  But he doesn't want any relationships or attachments.

Thanks to one daring night with a lot of passion and not so much clothes, Travis and Viola find themselves wanting the other.  And not just for the physical intimacy, but because they actually start to enjoy spending time with each other.  Soon, what once was two enemies battling it out with words every time they saw each other, there are two people who very much care about each other {but still enjoy some verbal sparring}.  Until a wrench gets thrown in those plans.

The second half of this Duet has Viola finally confronting Travis about said "wrench", and the continuing story is how, together, they find a way to use that to build a solid relationship, get to know each other even better, and really put the past in the past.

Overall, I'd probably give this story 3.5 stars.  Like I said, I've been avoiding writing this, because I did enjoy the rest of the series so much.  And while *SPOILER!!!* Travis does turn out to be a pretty decent man, his beginning left me ready to just smack him.  Maybe I was a little protective towards Viola, I don't know.  She was a sweetheart who I thought needed a gentleman, but she helped Travis see what kind of gentleman he could be.  And he showed Viola that tart can be a good thing at times.


No comments: