Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Fortunate Ones by R.S. Grey | Review

Title: The Fortunate Ones
Author: R.S. Grey
Pages: Unknown
Publisher: R.S. Grey
Goodreads Rating: 5.00 stars
Published: November 1st, 2017
Source: eBook/From Author

Description:

At Twin Oaks Country Club, there are the fortunate ones, and then there are the rest of us: the waiters, the caddies, the valets, and in my case, the cabana girls. Most days, I’m poolside in a pleated skirt, dishing out margaritas to tycoons and titans. It’s not exactly my dream job, but it does come with one perk…

James Ashwood.

He’s my silver lining in a custom black suit.

Besides being a legacy member at the club, he’s a tech mogul and Austin’s most eligible bachelor. Oh, and those dimples? Yeah, they make my stomach dip too.

On good days, I catch his sleek Porsche winding down the tree-lined drive. On better days, I steal a glimpse of his handsome profile as we pass in the hall. And on the absolute best day, I find him alone at the bar, looking for company.

“Come have a seat.”

Those four little words set me down a path I never could have imagined. Private planes, penthouse suites, and temptations around every corner make it impossible to keep my distance. His world feels decadent and wild—but overindulgence comes with a cost. Every kiss comes with strings. Every erotic encounter is a promise I’m not ready to keep.

When I pump the brakes, he hits the gas. James doesn’t want to go slow—he wants a commitment.

And the thing about the fortunate ones?

They’re used to getting what they want
. 


My Thoughts:

Okay, I have loved the other few books I've read by R.S. Grey {aka Rachel... she totally makes you feel like you know her and her little family via her Instagram}, and I knew this would be no exception to that rule.

Brooke is a fun character {and she must have been a blast to write!}, choosing to live in her hippie building than with her family after being fired from a great nannying gig.  It was the perfect job for her, but she finds herself working at the local country club {you know, one of the ones that only old money can buy their way into}.  She wants to see the world, to travel, to use her degrees in French and Spanish in tutoring {or nannying}... but she really, really just wants to travel and have absolutely no strings holding her down.  Kind of like her mother did when she left Brooke and her sister Ellie when they were younger.

James Ashwood is not quite the typical member of Twin Oaks country Club.  While on the outside he seems like a young and unattached version of many of the club's members, the James that no one sees in much different.  He still wants most the same things any 36-year-old man might want {family, success}, but unlike a lot of people in his circle he doesn't feel the need to find someone else who comes from money.  He just wants someone he can connect with who desires the same things as him.

Brooke and James meet out of a misfortune for Brooke - her closing down the dining room in the club one night when James decided to stay late.  Their doomed relationship blossomed from there, though both had hopes the other would change.  With Brooke's desire to travel, she just knew she wasn't dating material for a man who wanted to settle down.

I really liked Brooke and James.  They're both rich in character and depth, with Brooke's history and desire to see the world, and James' desire and drive to help those in need.  They both have hearts to help others {though I don't think Brooke really realizes she does until later}, and ultimately I think that's what really brings them together and solidifies their relationship.

I 'm glad the author didn't have everything end up roses so quickly.  Or that they didn't get together and "that's that".  Brooke needed time to herself to find herself, and she got that.  It's refreshing having the characters come into their own before settling down with the other.

Now the only reason I gave it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is because of the few times James was a little too aggressive with Brooke, kissing her forcefully when she very obviously was not reciprocating.  Granted, we as the reader are in her head and know she very obviously wants to kiss him, but on her terms {or is just trying to not want to kiss him}.  But James can't totally read her mind {though she does seem to be a bit of an open book to him}, and I just wish it would have been handled a little differently in the writing.

No comments: