Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Pages: 484
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
My rating: 2.5 stars
Goodreads rating: 3.69 stars
Published: August 31, 2010

Description:

Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.
Is love a great enough power against evil?


Please, unless you're 12 and reading this, don't bother.  Although, I will say, the description gives away the ending quite a bit.  And its only 3 sentences long {can you really have a 2 sentence paragraph?  I guess so}.  This book was, well, I would say a huge disappointment, but I kind of knew what I was getting into considering the author is a wee young thing {she's just now 19, which means she probably wrote this at 17}.  When reading this, I got the distinct feeling she was trying too hard, but at the same time not trying hard enough.  Also, very little life experience herself, and I think she might have had a difficult time imagining what it would be like to be a young angel, with almost infinite power, and being sent to earth in a fragile little human shell.

The characters weren't very believable at all.  Most of the time, instead of wanting to smack the characters and say "what were you thinking?" I wanted to smack the writer and just say "really?  I mean, really?"  It was just completely and incredibly unbelievable.  The two older angels were either too distant  {Gabriel} or too "oh, isn't this just lovely?  What a wonderful, dreamy state I'm in!" {Ivy}.  I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone, but I would just give them my copy...

Sorry this isn't that great of a review... there was really nothing that intrigued me with this book or held my attention more than just to keep reading it so I would finish it {thankfully it didn't take very long}.  I am so hoping Matched is going to be better than this.  With all the great reviews and the 4 out of 5 stars it has from almost 300 customers reviews on Amazon, it probably will be.

No comments: