Friday, April 20, 2012

My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Keep
Author: Rachel Vincent
Pages: 296
Publisher: Harlequin
My rating: 4 stars
Goodreads rating: 4.12 stars
Published: June 1, 2010

Description:
Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.Until something does.Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.And so is someone else…


I've read the first two in the series, and this review is going to be a bit spoiler-ish if you haven't read them.  Seriously, if you're planning on reading them, stop, go pick them up, and come back and read this once you're done *winks*.  If you're still reading, I'm going to take that as you've either read the first two books or you don't care about spoilers and are going to read anyway. So here I go...


I love how strong Kaylee is through everything.  When she thought she was losing her mind with her uncontrollable urge to scream when she was around people.  People with swirling shadows.  I think I would lose my mind if that were to happen.  Not to mention that I would want to hole up alone somewhere so I would never have to deal with that again.  And now she finally has her family backing her up, knows what she is {a bean sidhe, or banshee}, and has her bean sidhe/football star boyfriend, Nash, who can help calm her when she gets the urge to scream {which is actually her singing their soul's song and keeping it from being taken away}.


Kaylee and Nash have pretty much been going strong since book one, and this is book three.  Its kind of a typical hot-n-heavy relationship teenagers have, but with a deeper connection of those who've shared secrets and life-changing situations {even death}.  And this book takes it on another ride... oh, I wish I could say different things about even just that aspect of the book, but it would give too much away!  I want to punch some people and hug others, and I just love it when a book does that to me.


One thing Rachel Vincent's previous book, My Soul to Save, pointed out is that Demon's Breath is addictive.  There were otherworldly creatures that Kaylee, Nash and Tod bribed with to try to get Tod's old sweetheart her soul back.  And it has now made its way into the human world, with the jocks at Kaylee's school getting their hands on it.  Nash is good friends with two who get hooked, and it just gets worse from there.  Maybe its been just too long since I was in high school {11 years since graduation}, but are the jocks always getting their hands on illegal/bad-for-you substances?  I feel like that's a cliche that's been worn into the ground: jocks are stupid, and they'll do any drug you want.  The "jocks" I knew were actually very intelligent, and some were almost nerdy.  Maybe I just went to a weird school.  Sorry, a bit of a tangent there...


So much happened in this book.  There were moments that I literally fist-pumped in public, and other times when I would have my "mental reading block" up and no one could talk to me.  I love that every book I've read by Rachel Vincent is so engrossing I just get sucked into it and can't believe its done when I put it down... and am craving the next book in the series!

No comments: