Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins | Review

Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Pages: 453
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads rating: 4.21 stars
Published: May 1, 2012
Source: Paperback/Bought

Description:

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?



I've had this on my shelf for-eh-ver, and I've been following Wendy Higgins on Twitter for just as long... the ONLY reason I'm happy it took me so long to read this is I think I would have gone nuts having to wait a year for each book to come out.  I read this in two days, which is huge because, HEY!, I have a kiddo I'm running around with most of the day, plus I'm keeping a house clean like we don't even live here in case we need to do a showing {yep, trying to sell our house and buy another!}.  So, yes, reading any book has been taking a little while for me, but not this one!  I devoured it.  Wendy Higgins is officially on my Author Auto-Buy List.

Anna is the definition of "goody-two-shoes".  If you were to Google it, you should see her picture.  She's been blessed/cursed with knowing other people's emotions {and feeling them, but this is less prevalent in the book}.  She seems pretty normal, acts normal, flies under the radar for the most part.  She has one really good friend, Jay, who's her buddy and has "never felt that way" toward her {she should know: his emotions are literally swirling around him in a cloud of colors for Anna to see}.  Anna is thisclose with her step-mom, Patti, who adopted her as a baby after her birth mother died in childbirth and her dad went to prison.  The only thing about Anna that's maybe not so great is she feels this weird pull towards certain vices...

Enter Kaidan Rowe, with his swoony looks and {drum roll please} British accent {its okay to have Tom Hiddleson's voice in your head while you read Kaidan's lines... or Henry Cavill}.  He's what every good girl is told to stay away from: band member {drummer}, womanizer, bad boy.  And he's very, very good at getting the ladies to swoon - he is the son of the Duke of Lust, after all.  He quite literally know exactly what to say or do to get any woman to want to be with him.  When he spots Anna at one of his gigs, tagging along with her friend Jay, he knows she's different... she's like him...

The characters and the world building were so good in this book, I would be transported every time I opened it.  I just could not get enough {thankfully I'd purchased Sweet Peril a while back}.  Even though he's this charmer bad boy, I was cheering for Kaidan and Anna the whole time, cringing when various Dukes came in the picture {okay, pretty much any Duke other than Anna's dad}.  Kaidan's father makes me want to run away every time I read about him... Or take a hot, cleansing mind rub.  The man/fallen angel is evil.  As he's supposed to be - he is one of the twelve Dukes of Sin who roam the earth, pushing humans to give in to their sinful natures.  And almost all the Dukes have children who do their bidding as well {Nephilim, or Nephs, in this book}, which makes it harder for Kaidan and Anna to even be in the same area together, much less be together.

Sweet Evil was just the book I needed to get me to start diving into reading again {my TBR pile is a little scary at the moment}, and Sweet Peril was even more so {review on that one will be up a bit later}.  So, in a nutshell, if you haven't read this book and you're a fan of pretty much any supernatural YA, you need to.  Even if you aren't a fan of supernatural YA, you should read this.  Saying "it's SO good" just does not cut it for this book.  It's beyond awesome.

No comments: