Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Soul Immortal by Jen Printy | Review

Title: My Soul Immortal
Author: Jen printy
Pages: 310
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC
Goodreads rating: 3.89 stars
Published: February 15, 2014
Source: Paperback/From author for review

Description:

An endless love, for an endless price.

Jack’s immortality is exposed when he prevents a liquor store heist, forcing him to flee to protect his secret—a secret not even he understands. But when he meets Leah Winters—a mirror image of his decades-lost love, Lydia—his very soul is laid bare. He begins to question his sanity. Is she real, and if so, what does that mean for Jack and his secret?

Jack’s not the only mystery man in town. A stranger named Artagan hints at knowledge Jack is desperate to possess. But can he trust Artagan, or does the dark newcomer harbor deadly secrets of his own?

As Jack’s bond with Leah grows, so does the danger to her life. Jack must discover just how much he is willing to risk in order to save the woman he already lost once.



Honestly, this was not what I was expecting, but in such a great way.  I totally got sucked in and found myself up late reading because I just had to finish the next chapter {only to find that I really just needed to read a little bit more}.  When I saw that this had "Immortal" in the title, I thought "hmmm... another vampire/gods/etc" book, which are all subjects/genres I've enjoyed.  I really don't want to give anything away, but this book surprised me in such a good way.  No, "good" seems like a lame word.  I was hooked into this book like I would be in one of Jennifer L Armentrout's awesome stories.  As the Ninth Doctor would say, "Fantastic!"

The story follows Jack, who's upwards of 150 years old.  He doesn't know why he won't age, but around his 20th birthday he just stopped looking older.  He also can't be killed - Throughout his life he's had plenty of experiences that would have killed him {should have killed him}, but they never do.  After another such experience, he finds himself traveling across the US to Portland, Maine, to start over yet again.  It seems to be what he needs until he sees what has to be a walking, talking hallucination of his lost love Lydia, who died over a century and a half before and an ocean away.  Instead of going somewhere else, curiousity gets the best of Jack, and he needs to discover what is going on with this girl, who is indeed not a hallucination, but a girl who bares a most uncanny resemblance to Jack's beloved Lydia.

The story is beautifully written, with just enough detail on everything so you're not feeling like any information is missing, but not so much you get bored.  I love the author's writing style, the depth she goes into, just sucking me into Jack and Leah's life.  Also, MAINE!  I want to go vacation on the Northern East Coast so bad, but for now I will live vicariously through some fantastic books.  And this is definitely one fantastic book, guys!  I sincerely hope more people pick up Jen Printy's My Soul Immortal, because this book will not let you down.  And the ending... Aw, the ending!  Go, pick it up, read it, and let me know what you thought!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your review, Kari! I really appreciate it!
Thank you,
Jen :)