Thursday, November 2, 2017

My Week with the Bad Boy by Brooke Cumberland and Lyla Parish | Review

Title: My Week with the Bad Boy
Author: Brooke Cumberland and Lyra Parish
Pages: 262
Publisher: CreateSpace Independ Publishing Platform
Goodreads Rating: 4.62 stars
Published: November 2nd, 2017
Source: eBook/From Authors


Description:

Never trust a man who answers the front door wearing nothing more than a pair of low-cut jeans and a panty-melting smirk.

That should’ve been my first sign.

I write about guys just like him for a living—sexy and charming, yet reluctant to get into a serious relationship. His body screams sex appeal, but his condescending personality makes him a classic f*ckboy. 

And I want nothing to do with that.

Writing romance novels comes with its perks—traveling, meeting new people, creating characters from the voices in my head—but Ethan Rochester enters my life and rearranges all my preconceived notions about writing what inspires you. 

One week is all it took. One week to realize that not everything is as it seems.

One week with the bad boy, and I wanted more.
 



My Thoughts:

Gah.  I wanted to like this.  Like, a lot.  I really enjoyed most of the Checkmate series, although by the time I got through book 6 I found myself frustrated with all of the unnecessary foul language.  I get it, some people curse a lot.  My husband says I have the mouth of a sailor at times, but I definitely don't drop F bombs in everyday talk... or really any curse words.  Tiny ears in my house with tiny mouths that like to repeat what I saw and ask me what it means.

Vada is a writer in a slump, and Ethan is an artist trying to shake his sad past by keeping everyone {except his Mom and Aunt Millie} at arms length.  That includes only ever having one-night-stands with women he is attracted to.  Until Vada rents the cottage behind his house to cure her writer's block.  Ethan comes on to her strong, and when she discovers that he can help release her tension and make the words for her next novel flow, she's all for a purely physical relationship while she's there for the week.

Like most women, she starts to have feelings for the man she's sleeping with.  Ethan had built mental walls to shield from any emotional attachments, but he finds that Vada seems to fit in his life just perfectly.  Like, despite what happened in his past, she was there and made to be his other half right when he needed it.

I would like to say that, despite the language, I did enjoy the back story to Ethan a lot.  I mean, not how sad it was, but the depth it gave him as a character.  Vada has an interesting history, but Ethan definitely is the one I was drawn to more out of the two {which is funny, because his cocky attitude and cursing kind of rubbed me the wrong way}.  In real life I'm generally not a fan of the bad boys, because they aren't like fictional bad boys - no heart of gold.  Ethan, despite his crass language and rough edges, really does have a heart of gold.

Honestly, if it weren't for the language {and an unnecessary sex scene or two}, I probably would have rated this higher.  But those are just my personal preferences.  If you don't mind the language and lots a wild sex scenes are your thing, then you would probably really like this book!


No comments: