Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Beau & The Belle by R.S. Grey | Review

Title: The Beau & The Belle
Author: R.S. Grey
Pages:
Publisher: 
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Goodreads Rating: 4.44 stars
Published: February 2nd, 2018
Source: eARC/from author

Description:
Beau Fortier starred in most of my cringe-worthy teenage fantasies.

I met him when I was a junior in high school, a time that revolved exclusively around bad hair, failed forays into flirting, and scientific inquiries into which brand of toilet paper worked best for stuffing bras.

That is, until Beau moved into the small guest house just beyond my bedroom window. 

A 24-year-old law student at Tulane, Beau was as mysterious to me as second base (both in baseball and in the bedroom). He was older. Intimidating. Hot. Boys my age had chicken legs and chubby cheeks. Beau had calloused hands and a jaw cut from steel. Our interactions were scarce—mostly involving slight stalking on my end—and yet deep down, I desperately hoped he saw me as more of a potential lover than a lovesick loser.

Turns out, I was fooling myself. My fragile ego learned that lesson the hard way.

Now, ten years later, we’re both back in New Orleans, and guess who suddenly can’t take his eyes off little ol’ me.

My old friend, Mr. Fortier.

But things have changed. I’m older now—poised and confident. My ego wears a bulletproof vest. The butterflies that once filled my stomach have all perished.

When I was a teenager, Beau warned me to guard my heart.

Let’s hope he knows how to guard his.


My Thoughts:

You've read the blurb, so I'm not going to tell you what The Beau & The Belle is about.  I will tell you it'll rock your socks off, and possibly make you cringe as you remember any embarrassing teenage crushes you had in the past {oh lord, I'm just glad none of mine ever lived with my family, even in a guest house out back!}.


I love Lauren, both the past version and the present one.  In the beginning she has the upbringing many people could only wish for, and even though she resents some of it {cotillion}, she knows its ridiculous to slap a gift horse in the face {this mainly pertains to her schooling, which she almost wants to toss for her crush}.  Thankfully she doesn't, she goes to school and becomes an amazing career woman, who uses her knowledge and a lot of trust money to start a new business after working for a very prestigious company for a few years out of college.

And Beau... poor, handsome, thoughtful Beau.  First falling for her innocence and trying to protect it from stupid high school boys, their paths cross again 10 years later and he's struck with the woman she's become, as well as how much of Lauren's younger self he still sees in her.

The romance between the two is sizzling, so much so that I think my tablet got a little on the hot side.  I might have had to fan myself off a bit.  I love that this can't be classified quite as friends-to-lovers, but at the same time its not enemies-to-lovers.  I think Lauren would call it the later and Beau would call it the former!  Maybe it's more of a made-for-each-other romance?  They both compliment each other so well, as soon as they come back into each other's lives after 10 years apart.

I love a good comedy and a slow burn romance, and TB&TB brings both.  After being immersed in the world of New Orleans, I have now put it on my bucket list {much to my husband's chagrin}.  Rachel is so detailed in her writing, I felt like I was actually there.  It's currently about 55 degrees or cooler where I live, but I found myself sipping lemonade while reading {and thankful it wasn't Mrs. LeBlanc's acid-like lemonade!}.
Rachel has done it again. As far as I'm concerned, she is the queen of Rom-Com, and I'm not sure she will ever be replaced.  I've read 4 {or 5?} of her books, and each one has been at least a solid 4 star read for me, more often then not landing in the 5 star rating.  The Beau & The Belle might be my favorite so far, though The Foxe & The Hound is a very close second!


No comments: