Sunday, February 4, 2018

Taming Him by Kennedy Fox | Review

Title: Taming Him
Author: Kennedy Fox
Pages: 394
Publisher: 
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Goodreads Rating: 4.39 stars
Published: January 30th, 2018
Source: eARC/from author

Description:

Alex Bishop is your typical cowboy.
Charming, sexy, and wears a panty-melting smirk. 

Working on the ranch helped build his solid eight-pack and smoking body. He's every girl's wet fantasy, and he knows it too. Alex doesn't follow the rules of your typical playboy bachelor. After wining and dining his dates and giving them the best night of their lives, he always sends flowers and calls the next day—even if it's to say, let's just be friends. His mama taught him manners after all, and his Southern blood knows how to be a gentleman. Still, that isn’t enough to tame the wildest of the Bishop brothers. 

River Lancaster has finally met the man of her dreams. Too bad after six months of romantic bliss, she finds out he's married. With a broken heart and blind rage, she books herself a ticket to Key West, Florida. Tired of cheaters and liars, she’s set on escaping to forget he ever existed. Who needs a man when there's an all-you-can-drink margarita bar, anyway? That's what she tells herself until she bumps into the right guy who can make all those bad memories disappear.

Even if it's only temporarily. 

Two weeks on the beach is what they both need. No strings attached, no expectations, no broken hearts. Too bad the universe has other plans—one that'll change the entire course of their lives in just nine short months.



My Thoughts:

I have mixed feelings for some of the Kennedy Fox books I've read, but that's not to say I don't enjoy them!  I love how they portray the lead women in the book as strong and not in desperate need of a man, but when finding one that completes them so well they know to hold on to that {or run and get him back!}.  


I love River.  I love that she's a nurse, and her reasons for being a PICU nurse.  I know a lot of nurses, so seeing her finally take some time to herself and go on vacation at the beginning made me do a little sigh for her.  She has such a big heart!  That being said, I"m a little surprised in her choice of best friend, because she seemed to just be wasted the entire trip and wanting River to just find a random hookup to bang her brains out {how is that what someone in their late-20s wants to do for their entire vacation?  I get the strong libido and wanting her to loosen up, but good lord!}.

Alex is a major player, but at least he knows he is and doesn't try to sugar-coat it for any of the woman he uses.  Of course, when him and River meet in Key West, they immediately click and start a bit of a shag-here-bucket-list. They don't spend the entire vacation in bed and do go and see some of the sights, but they do spend a good deal of time between the sheets {or in the water, on the beach, etc}.  I didn't have too much of a problem with that, really.  I mean, this is a sexy book, so I expected it to be, well, sexy.

After parting ways, the story follows Alex more than River, and the player went from shagging any pretty thing who'd let him to being so hung up over the woman he spent a week and a half with that everyone knows who she is and is getting fed up with Alex moping about her.  A few of his brothers straight up tell him that they don't believe she's even real.

The story takes a pleasant turn, when River confronts Alex about being pregnant.  Now, I have a little bit of a frustration with this point.  I understand people make mistakes, condoms aren't 100% effective, and stuff can interfere with birth control pills.  Seeing that River is an intelligent adult and a nurse, she should have known that being on an antibiotic would make her birth control pill ineffective.  She acknowledges that after she's talking to Alex about being pregnant, but I would think a nurse who doesn't want to get pregnant from a fling with a guy she has said she won't even contact after their week together would be hyper aware of how her birth control work and make sure a condom was used no mater what since that would also protect her from STDs.

Another thing that drove me bonkers was how every man in the Bishop family thought they would be responsible for any woman getting pregnant with multiples.  One of them is a flipping doctor, for goodness sake!  He should know the basic biology that a man just provides the sperm, it's all up to either the woman with how many times she ovulates or God and if he decides to split the fertilized egg.  {BTW, if you're wondering the twins in the Bishop family are identical, so it's totally just a random, God decided it would happen kind of thing.}

Overall, two big quirks aside, I did enjoy this book.  Would I recommend it to others?  I think that would really depend on their taste and if I know quirks like the ones in this book would bug them.  I know a lot of bookish friends who wouldn't care and would just enjoy it, and for the most part I really did too.  But between those two things and the overabundance of cussing, I just had a hard time with it.  I know cursing is something pretty common in a lot of these kinds of books, but it just rubs me the wrong way to be used so much and so flippantly.  If that doesn't bother you, you'd probably enjoy this book a lot more than I did!  I found myself mentally replacing some of the unneeded curse words with my "mommy versions" or even just something not so intense/harsh.

No comments: