Friday, April 27, 2018

Reclaiming Shilo Snow by Mary Weber | Review

Title: Reclaiming Shilo Snow
Author: Mary Weber
Pages: 352
Publisher:
Thomas Nelson
Goodreads Rating: 4.31 stars
Published: March 6th, 2018
Source: Physical ARC/from publisher

Description:

Trapped on the ice-planet of Delon, gamer girl Sofi and Ambassador Miguel have discovered that nothing is what it seems, including their friends. On a quest to rescue her brother, Shilo, a boy everyone believes is dead, they must now escape and warn Earth of Delon’s designs on humanity. Except the more they unearth of the planet and Sofi’s past, the more they feel themselves unraveling, as each new revelation has Sofi questioning the very existence of reality.
Meanwhile, back on Earth, Sofi’s mom, Inola, is battling a different kind of unraveling: a political one that could cost lives, positions, and a barely-rebuilt society, should they discover the deal made with the Delonese.
But there’s a secret deeper than all that. One locked away inside Sofi and ticking away with the beginnings, endings, and answers to everything. Including how to save humanity.

My Thoughts:

How can I review this book and not have spoilers everywhere?  I'm not entirely sure I can, honestly, but I will give it a try!


Picking up right where The Evaporation of Sofi Snow left off, Reclaiming Shilo Snow dives more into the family relationships while taking you on the ride of your life.  While I felt like Sofi Snow had left me with more questions than anything, Shilo rapid-fire answered a lot of those questions and left me reeling.  Some of the answers were not what I wanted, and left me with a bit of an ache in my chest.

One of the most defining moments {for me} in this book was one I thought I was ready for in the first book.  Nay, not even just ready for, but almost even wanting.  By a third of the way through the second book, I knew I wanted that moment to happen.  But, oh man, Mary practically said "Kari, I know you want this.  I know many of my readers want this.  But *pauses* *writes more*... there.  Sorry, but it just had to be done.  And I know you still might not want your original desire, but I'm going to give it to you anyway."  To which I just said "noooooooooo!!!"

Mary has been very open about using this book to shine a giant light on human trafficking, and if you've read it you can see that just screaming from the pages.  It's a eerie, haunting fictional representation of how that takes place, with people high up in society not just turning a blind eye, but helping those who would take our young ones and use them however they see fit.  This book had me holding my kids close and wanting to be there for them for every little aspect of their lives.

This last year Mary Weber has cemented herself as one of my auto-buy authors, this book just confirming how I feel about her writing style.



*disclaimer: I recieved an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for posting an original photo on Intagram and an honest review*

No comments: